On Sat, 04 Sep 1999, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> JMarc> Could you send a short TeX document that produces the problem,
> JMarc> along with the .log file? I am curious to know what the problem
> JMarc> is... Do you have unusually short lines or long words?
>
> Susie> here's the tex file.  it's an A4 document, and i havent changed
> Susie> the line settings.
>
> Thanks. With this file, I get:
>
> fantomas: latex hyphentest.tex
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.0)
> MLTeX v2.2 enabled
> [...]
>
> Overfull \hbox (1.29025pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 25--25
> []\T1/cmr/bx/n/14.4 Frequency Hopped Spread Spec-trum Sys-tems
>
> [...]
>
> As you can see the hyphnation for systems is right.
>
> On what system are you running?

In a private mail she told me:-

====

i'm not sure which lyx it is. i think 1.0.3 (i only got it
recently).  i'm running it on redhat 6.0 with linux 2.2.5-15

====

Now isn't that the RH release where RedHat screwed up the TeX install
and you have to re-do some of it manually?

I do not run RH here so I can't remember all the details, but I'm sure somebody
on the list will know what you have to do..

btw, Your test page typesets perfectly here. Here are the relvent lines from
my log file. What do you get in your log?

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.2)
(/home/chris/Desktop/hyphentest.tex
LaTeX2e <1997/12/01> patch level 2
Babel <v3.6j> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, nohyphenat
ion, loaded.
(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/book.cls
Document Class: book 1997/10/10 v1.3x Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/bk10.clo))
(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/t1enc.def)) (hyphentest.aux)
Chapter 1.

Overfull \hbox (1.29025pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 25--25
[]\T1/cmr/bx/n/14.4 Frequency Hopped Spread Spec-trum Sys-tems
[1] (hyphentest.aux) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on hyphentest.dvi (1 page, 668 bytes).
Transcript written on hyphentest.log.

The overfull hbox is only a point or so, so it can be ignored safely

You could concoct a totally unsatisfactory quick fix by putting a hard end of
line ( CTRL-RET ) somewhere in the line, and put a space at the start of the
second line. However it would be a _much_ better idea to get the TeX problems
sorted out..

You would probably find having `The not so short introduction to LaTeX2e'
to hand very useful. Your nearest mirror appears to be:-

http://www.cmis.csiro.au/Graham.Williams/TeX/entries/lshort-english.html

It's well written and is very informative, and the author answers his
e-mail, but he is on holiday until the 26th.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME    Christopher Sawtell - Support Engineer - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
 ICQ UIN 45863470
 EMAIL   csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz
 CNOTES  ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz