Jacobo> I get some errors trying to view in dvi a document -article-
Jacobo> in spanish. If I change the language to english the problem
Jacobo> disappears. The problem happens after introducing a table of
Jacobo> contents. The error appears before the title of the article.

Jacobo> the error message is:

Jacobo>      Improper alphabetic constant. ...NO VERTE JES\'US\char
Jacobo> '\@umlaut {} }{3} A one-character control sequence belongs
Jacobo> after a ' mark. So I'm essentially inserting \0 here.

This is probably a problem with spanish.sty redefining ~ (protected
space) to an accent macro. I do not know what correct fix we could
use...

Could you try adding
\noextrasspanish
in your LaTeX preamble?