Roland Krause <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| Great, finally someone to pick this up.
| If I were you I'd also ask the developers, I think they have very
| detailed ideas of how the whole thing should be dealt with already. As
| far as I understand, figures should _not_ be converted into eps since
| this is entirely unnecessary. LaTeX can handle figures in jpeg and png
| for example just fine assumed that you can use the graphicx
| package.

Not quite true, someone must do the conversion to the format that
LaTeX can handle. It is possible to teach graphicx how to do this
using an external program, but the figure must still be converted, si
it just a question of when the conversion is done.

We also need to handle LaTeX installations that does not understand
eps but wants something different.

| represent the figure on the screen you need to convert it to a bitmap
| sooner or later and that's what ghostscript is doing now. Again, all
| this isn't really necessary but as it looks like the current code needs
| a fundamental rewrite.

Yes, and it seems to be taking off now.

        Lgb