I think I discovered the REAL source of my lyx/bibtex problem.

After experimenting with sections of the document to identify which
elements were causing the problem, I thought I had discovered the source
of the error. It appeared that a very much shortened document with fewer
incorrect cites (i.e. ones not yet in my bibtex file) would not produce
the buffer overflow error. So I reasoned that the fewer miss-cites I made
the better.

However, after re-writing all of the cites into the original document the
buffer overflow returned. Inspection of the .aux file indicated a number
of figure captions that seemed to be quite lengthy, and sure enough
commenting out these figures in lyx solved the problem.

So it seems there is a strange relationship between the length of figure
captions and bibtex processing? Incidentally, in lyx, placing a carriage
return in the caption also solved the problem, which gives me the
impression that it is a lyx bug?

Thanks for everyones help.

  Phil Scordis
   Room 2.19, School of Biological Sciences, Stopford Building
    University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT
 Lab Tel:      +44 (0)161 275 5980 | Mobile:        07957 625120
 E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] | SMS:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]