Hello,

I have written a DocBook document and now I want to convert
it to a PDF file using virpdftex that comes with MiKTeX
(I'm using LyX on Win32). I have first exported the file as a SGML file.
I have installed support for my language in Babel (Norwegian).

These are the commands I use to do the convertion:

openjade -cc:/openjade/dsssl/catalog -cc:/sgml/dtd/docbook41/docbook.cat\
 -cc:/sgml/stylesheets/db157/catalog -cc:/sgml/dtd/html4/catalog\
 -cc:/sgml/dtd/html2and3/catalog  -ttex\
 -dc:/sgml/stylesheets/db157/print/docbook.dsl [SGML file].

And then:

virpdftex "&pdfjadetex" Egenbetaling.tex

Altough I have specified what language to use within LyX,
the finished .pdf file is still in english. No errors are given
during the conversion.

After a little searching and asking for help, someone told
me to add the following to the .tex file, manually:

\usepackage[norks]{babel}

OK, so I did this, but then ended up with this error message:

The package babel has allready been loaded with options:
  [german,frenchb,english]
There has now been an attempt to load it with options
  [norsk]
Adding the global options:
  german,frenchb,english,norsk
to your \documentclass declaration may fix this.

After diging around that a little bit, and being total new to TeX,
somone told me that I needed the following in the TeX document:

\documentclass{book}

or another form of the \documentclass instruction.

I don't know how this is supposed to work, or where the real
problem is, but shouldn't the above mentioned conversion
routines add these kind of things to my documents automatically?
Someone even said that a TeX file _had_ to have a \documentclass
tag. If that is the case, why is it not in my TeX file?

What I really need is someone to point me in the right direction.
Where do I go to look for help in this matter? I suspect this is a
problem related to either OpenJade or DocBook, not LyX?
I don't think it is MiKTeX's fault, considering that the TeX file
seems to lack some fundamental tags that MiKTeX would require
in order to do what I want it to do.

I have now struggeled with this problem for about a week,
so any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thank you.

- Idar Tollefsen