This is a LaTeX limitation. To work around it, define a math-macro "\bmath"
in the usual way. I wrap the macro in {} so that it is clear in LyX that it
ain't a normal symbol. It will appear in the LyX file as:

\begin_inset FormulaMacro
\newcommand{\bmath}[1]{{#1 }}

\end_inset

This will be "good enough" for LyX, but will not produce bold greek
characters in the LaTeX output. For that, put this little bit of magic in the
LaTeX preamble (thanks to Herbert Voss / Jean-Marc Lasgouttes for this!):

%LyX's math-macros do not allow fonts to be specified. They are 'good enough'
%for LyX, but the LaTeX typesetting is specified here
\newcommand{\bmath}[1]{\mbox{ \boldmath $\!#1\!$ \unboldmath}}
\let\newcommand=\providecommand

Angus