Dear Stephan, you've nailed it. I finally could pinpoint the problem to
opening files in windows, instead of in tabs. Nevertheless, I opened Lyx
from command line to see if some message appears when I tried to open
another file, but nothing showed up.

Again, my wife's computer is using Mavericks and her Lyx is 2.1.2.2

Can anyone confirm this bug, so I can file it? If not, do you have another
idea about why this problem is appearing?

Thanks in advance. Regards,

Julio Rojas
jcredbe...@gmail.com