I completely deleted the texlive package in the debian jessie repository and
downloaded it from the texlive website, but still get same problem (dvik shows
the line numbers beginning in the middle of the pleading paper rather than at
the top). Its something to do with the dvi rendering as the file prints to the
printer just fine, with the line numbers in the proper place.

I get same problem when exporting to pdflatex BUT NOT when exporting to ps2pdf.

Ps2pdf renders the line numbers on pleading paper just fine.

This problem did not occur with the version of lyx which came with Debian
Wheezy,

Again, any comments would be appreciated.  I miss cntrl-D.

John