Hi

I've been noticed some odd behaviour when the page margins are changed from the class defaults. This has caused me some annoyance with marginal notes.

Attached is MWE1.lyx which is a simple document using the class default margins and with the showframe package and its output is MWE1.pdf.

MWE2.lyx is identical except that the top margin has been changed. Lyx has inserted

\usepackage[a4paper]{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,tmargin=5cm}

in the preamble.

The output MWE2,pdf is not what I had expected as the side margins have changed and the marginal note area is now much nearer the edge. Indeed if say the outer margin is changed in Document Settings then the marginal area can almost disappear altogether.

I solved this to some extent as in MWE3.lyx where I stopped Lyx inserting the geometry pack by setting local layout, and then put

\usepackage[a4paper,includemp]{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,tmargin=5cm}

in the preamble. I.e. the same as Lyx did but with an extra option.

The output MWE3.pdf is better but still not just a change to the header margin.

The includemp could have been includeall with a slight difference to the output.

So, should Lyx automatically include this option in the usepackage call or is there a much neater way to do what I want, i.e. change the header margin without changing anything else.

Sorry for the length. Couldn't think of a shorter way to describe this.

Cheers
--

Steve Hnizdur