On 12/08/2015 02:27 AM, Michael Berger wrote:

> On 12/07/2015 07:51 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
>> On 12/07/2015 01:45 PM, Michael Berger wrote:
>>> Dear LyX friends,
>>> this is a new and frustrating experience.
>>> After the update just everything is there as before, nothing lost,
>>> no program, no configuration.
>>> However, when trying to work with LyX and opening my documents I got
>>> the well-known LaTex errors that packages were missing.
>>> When opening the Documents Settings I found all classes grayed.
>>>
>>> Has somebody out there experienced that same problem and can
>>> somebody tell me how to resolve the issue?
>>
>> There are various things that can cause this kind of problem after an
>> update.
>>
>> First, I'd verify that TeX is properly installed. From a terminal try:
>>     kpsewhich article.cls
>> You should get a response telling you where that file is. If not,
>> then your TeX installation is either missing or very broken.
>>
>> If that is all right, then open LyX from a terminal. Try Tools>
>> Reconfigure and see what error messages you might get. Let us know
>> what you see. You should also get a file configure.log in your user
>> directory containing all the output from the configuration process.
>> Please post that.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> Hi Richard,
> you see Scott's comment - actually this should not happen.

You might report the bug to OpenSUSE. It is possible it's a packaging
issue, which of course we don't control. The fact that you could
manaually reconfigure means there was probably an earlier
reconfiguration that was done at the wrong time: possibly before LaTeX
had been installed.

> But as an ordinary user I should like to thank you for your advice re
> checking the LaTex configuration (which packages are installed = "yes"
> or missing = "No"). This will be very useful for future similar accidents!

You're welcome.

Richard