Thanks for the feedback.

I got this working by making two changes:

1. The path declaration described in

In the Preferences under Paths you should append
:/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/bin at the end if you have
Inkscape installed at the default location. (Make sure a colon separates it
from the other entries.)

seemed to be ignored. I had to add it to my bash $PATH

2. Perhaps because of 1, path variables were missing from the converters. For
example, SVG -> PDF had --file=$$i instead of —file=$$p/$$i, and similarly for
—export-pdf, it was missing the $$p/