On 06/19/2016 01:02 PM, Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2016 um 12:07:37, schrieb Michael Berger <id...@online.de>
Kornel, thanks for the tip-off re '..change PATH directly'.
On second thought I agree for e.g. one simple reason: without having
set Path one cannot call tlmgr gui from a terminal.
So, I did:  PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH

Cheers,Michael
Sorry Kornel,
I have another problem.
After I set PATH as described above I could  immediately call 'tlmgr
gui' and the GUI was there.
When I tried the same again after some time bash said 'command not found'
Then I set Path again as before and I could call Gui.
This behaviour is repeating.
Can you help with this?

Thanks,
Michael
There is more than one solution.

1.) I see, you are using bash. Sure you have a '.profile' file in your home
directory.
        Edit this file and set PATH.
2.) More complicated but valid for *all* shells.
        2a.) Edit fir ~/.pam_environment
        2b.) Add a line here
                PATH DEFAULT=/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux:${PATH}
        2c.) re-login

        Kornel
Dear Kornel,

1) I found no file '.profile' but the file '.bash_profile' in /Home as per screenshot If this is the correct file, should I edit it in the User specific environment section by replacing the existing PATH or add my PATH below it ?

2a) fir ~/.pam_environment   returns > bash: fir: command not found
fi ~/.pam_environment returns > bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'

Sorry for being so very innocentO:-)
Michael