Dear Neal,

thank you for the report.

On 2017-01-19, Neal Becker wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:

>> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/CTAN/fonts/newtx/doc/newtxdoc.pdf

>> The package invoked by
>> \usepackage{newtxmath}
>> loads the math part of the txfonts (with revised metrics and additional
>> glyphs) and should be loaded after
>> the text font and its encoding have been specified, as it uses the text
>> font settings to define how operators,
>> numbers, math accents, \mathrm, \mathbf etc. are rendered

>> But if I select
>> document/settings/fonts/Math: Times Roman (New TX)

>> Generated TeX says:
>> \documentclass[american,journal,comsoc]{IEEEtran}
>> \usepackage{amsmath}
>> \usepackage{newtxmath}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[latin9]{luainputenc}

>> Is this OK?

Leaving both "font encoding" and "Serif font" at "Default" leads to
suboptimal fonts beeing used (fontenc becomes T1 and the default Computer
Modern fonts are substituted by bitmap EC (or, if installed CM-Super).

Adding Times math fonts to this mix makes matters worse.

Why do you compile with LuaTeX when using 8-bit fonts? (This is not
necessarily evil but I am curious.)

>> Does \usepackage{newtxmath} need to be moved later in the
>> preamble?

May be, you can try by leaving the GUI math-package setting at default and
inserting \usepackage{newtxmath} in the user preamble. Please report
differences, if found.

> Similarly, this advice seems to be violated:
> "If you use the babel package, you should load it before newtxtext—for
> example:"...

OTOH, babel itself advises to be loaded last. (The Greek babel
definitions, e.g., analyse the fontencoding setup for proper working.)

Again, this may be changed if we have evidence of problems or improvements
with either order.

Günter