I should add that I'm using newtxmath because:

http://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/IEEEtran/IEEEtran_HOWTO.pdf

says:

1) Comsoc Mode: Comsoc mode only affects the math font
so that it will more closely match the Times Roman main text.
Either Michael Sharpe’s freely available newtxmath package
[8] (version 1.451, July 28, 2015 or later is recommended)
or the commercial MathTime [9] math fonts (as mtpro2.sty,
mt11p.sty or mathtime.sty) are acceptable. Under comsoc
mode, if one of these packages has not been loaded by the
user at the start of the document, IEEEtran will attempt to
enforce their use based on what is available on the system.
The recommended loading procedure and order for newtxmath
is:
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} % optional
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage[cmintegrals]{newtxmath}