On 04/23/2017 08:14 AM, Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا wrote:
Dear all,

Could you kindly help me with a tip on how to insert a carriage-return/line-break in my table of contents, for a very long title? I'm using Lyx 2.2.0

The problem text is below (and neither \\ nor \newline works) :

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{How Goan Identity and India's Independence \\ Put Britain in a Diplomatic Dilemma}
\addtocontents{toc}{Victor Rangel-Ribeiro \par}

Hi Frederick,
I don't quite understand why you're using these low-level commands instead of ordinary sectioning ones, but here's the answer: in order for \newline to survive writing into the .toc file, you need to protect it, thus
\protect\newline should work (not sure how well).

  • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
    • ... PhilipPirrip
      • ... Wolfgang Engelmann
        • ... Guenter Milde
      • ... Kornel Benko
        • ... PhilipPirrip
          • ... Kornel Benko
            • ... PhilipPirrip
    • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
      • ... Steve Litt