On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Mr William Balthes <
william.balt...@uqconnect.edu.au> wrote:

> A suggestion from the list is that I use linux.
>
> I know nothing about it.  Does it have automatic updates that you can't
> avoid where the system restarts.

I've not had any data loss on my Windows 10 due to automatic updates, but I
tend to always save my files before going away from my PC. In defense of
auto-updates as a Win10 mechanism, a power loss overnight would also put
you at risk if you didn't save your LyX file properly and use a reliable
backup system, even in linux.

Using a cloud file service, e.g., Dropbox or Google drive, etc. is a way to
have a copy of your file in case something weird happens. I'm pretty sure
that Google Drive has a way (albeit cryptic) to recover versions of the
same file for up to 30 days.

Finally, I also remember how much of my own procrastination was involved
with the technical aspects of my dissertation (LaTeX vs Word vs FrameMaker
was the topic we would spend hours debating online in the mid 90s). Try not
to let it take up too much of your energy.

Regards,

C. Fuhrman