On Mon, 25 Sep 2017, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Around line 498, LyX parks a copy in the temporary buffer and tries to
convert it to EPS. Around line 505, you can see the \insertgraphics
command for it (which I assume means LyX thinks the conversion was
successful). Your guess is better than mine whether the bounding box is
set correctly.

Paul,

  I saw that LyX thinks the conversion is successful ... and the bounding
box is correct. Wonder why it's not displaying, then. I can run the image
through 'convert' and create an .eps file, but have not before had issues
inserting .pdf files.

Assuming you previewed the document in LyX, Document > LaTeX Log will open
the log in a viewing window for you. The actual log file lives in the
temporary buffer directory (/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.mmCXUkQ28141) in this case.

  Didn't see it there before, it's in ../lyx_tempbuf2. And the log file
tells me:

File: 0_home_rshepard_documents_templates_llc-letterhead.eps Graphic file (type
 eps)
<0_home_rshepard_documents_templates_llc-letterhead.eps>
Overfull \hbox (227.62204pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 68--68
 []|
 []

Overfull \vbox (17.22406pt too high) detected at line 68
 []

File: 0_home_rshepard_documents_templates_llc-letterhead.eps Graphic file (type
 eps)
<0_home_rshepard_documents_templates_llc-letterhead.eps>
Overfull \hbox (227.62204pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 68--68
 []|
 []

Class scrlttr2 Warning: head of first page is 17.22406pt too high.
(scrlttr2)              You have to change `firstheadvpos'
(scrlttr2)              or you have to define a smaller
(scrlttr2)              head of first page using \setkomavar.
(scrlttr2)              Because of this too high head of first page
(scrlttr2)              you've got an overfull \vbox message on input line 68.

  So I need to play with the image size or positioning to get it to fit.

Thanks for the pointer,

Rich