Dir Sir or Madam,

I already searched this problem in wiki and the documentations, but I
couldn't fix it.

I'm using the article class for my master's thesis and I have to put defined
vertical spaces before and after chapter-, section- and subsection-headings.

For example before chapter the space has to be 40pt, after it 30pt, and then
should be next the text.

I adjusted the stdlayout.inc file (TopSep, BottomSep), LyX interpreted it
right, but in the pdf, there were no changes.

Then I tried it with KOMA-Script:

\RedeclareSectionCommand[beforeskip=42pt, afterskip=30pt]{chapter}

I got an error, that \begin{document} is missing, then I tried several
places in the document to put it in, but the error was still there.

Can you help me?

Kind Regards

Serge Vouillarmet