Am Sonntag, 24. Dezember 2017 um 09:30:34, schrieb Rich Shepard
<rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
>    I've dug a hole and need to learn how to climb out.
>
>    For a reason I cannot find the preamble for every document class reverts
> to that for a KOMA-Script letter2 document. Looking in ~/.lyx I don't see
> why this happens.

You have once set the document defaults to KOMA-Script letter2.

To change this default behaviour:
        Open a new document.
        Set all what you want to have if you open a new document later.
        Save as document defaults.
                (Document->Settings->Document Class: There is a Button "Save as
Document Defaults")

>    I exported the book I'm writing as a .txt file; it has no preamble
> information, only the body text. Then I created a new document and the
> default class is the letter. Changing the class to Book (standard) or
> KOMA-Script book did not change the preamble.
>
>    While the empty document displayed I deleted everything in the preamble
> after \date{}. When I inserted the text file and looked at the settings, the
> class is still Book (Standard with extra fonts), but now the preamble has
> all the letter directives.
>
>    My web searches do not find the answer; references to the lyx wiki that
> I've seen do not tell me how to reset the preamble when the document class
> is changed. I need a clue on where this is controlled so I can fix the
> current situation and avoid it in the future. And, as an aside, with all
> these attempts the Check TeX remains visible in the Tools menu.
>
> Rich

        Kornel