On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Check ~/.lyx/templates/defaults.lyx. That's the document class (and settings) that LyX clones whenever you start a new document (File > New).

Paul,

  OK. That explains it. There's only 1 premable in defaults.lyx and it's for
the letter class.

This part I cannot explain. Did you save the document after clearing the preamble and before inserting the text?

  Yes, I saved it.

If you have specific preambles you would like by default for certain
document classes (and not the same preamble for all classes), you can do
the following. For each document class, start a new document and rejigger
the preamble to your liking. Also make any changes to class options, page
size, margins, fonts etc. that tickle your fancy. You can also include
boilerplate in the document body. Click File > Save As... and then click
the Templates button in the file dialog to get to your templates
directory. Save it with an evocative name (e.g., Bitching Letter to
Editor.lyx).

  I don't know what I want in each class preamble, but I'll create
bare-bones preambles, then modify as I learn and re-save as the class
defaults.

When you want to create a new document of that class, rather than File >
New, use File > New from Template... to get your personalized version of
the class. You can also include boilerplate in the document body.

  This is part of my issue: I could not find a template I wanted to use in
~/.lyx/templates/ so I created a new doc and, of course, it used the default
template it found.

Thanks very much for the solution,

Rich