On 15/03/2018 14:12, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

    I have to do something slightly different namely

        Tools > Preferences > Editing > Shortcuts > Cursor, Mouse and
    Editing Functions > ipa-insert > Modify

I'd rather do:

* Tools > Preferences > Editing > Shortcuts > New ...

* Enter "command-alternatives in-ipa ; ipa-insert" (without the quotes) to Function

* Move the Cursor to the shortcut Area (the grey field)

* Perform the actual keyboard shortcut (e.g., Alt+I)

* Apply and Save

    The bind file is shown as cua in which there is no binding for
    ipa-insert.  (Someone please tell me if I'm wrong)

Right.

    so after I click on Modify I have to select New and then enter the
    binding.  So I enter C-x i and ipa-insert and it does indeed
    "stick" in the sense I described before.

Ctrl-X is not a good idea. This is the default binding for "cut" (and Alt-X ist the default binding for the minibuffer).

    I can close LyX and restart it and look at cua.bind and it's still
    there.  (I do that in Emacs in case you're wondering.  The path on
    my machine is Program Files (x86) > LyX 2.2 > Resources > bind >
    cua.bind.)

    However cua.bind cannot possibly be the default bind file because
    if I am in LyX and type C-x it says "command disabled" so I can't
    even do "cut".  I think I can figure out how to load the cua
    bindings but my concern is that it will reset some of the default
    bindings.  I also use LyX for math and logic and I don't want to
    lose those shortcuts.

The user-defined shortcuts are not saved in cua.bind, but in user.bind, which is in your personal LyX directory, in the bind subfolder.

You can even directly copy the following to this file (and restart LyX):

\bind "M-I" "command-alternatives in-ipa ; ipa-insert"

HTH
Jürgen

    Please compare to
    https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/KeyboardShortcuts#StandardKeybindings
    <https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/KeyboardShortcuts#StandardKeybindings>
    where it says "You can use the script LyxBindings
    <https://wiki.lyx.org/Tools/LyxBindings> to generate your own
    documentats describing for your configuration of keyboard
    shortcuts. Some users experience the complete loss of every
    bindings after changes. In that case, a .bind file needs to be
    reselected in the menu
    (Tools/Preferences/Editing/Shortcuts/Browse). /The cua.bind file
    is the basic one./"

    Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

    Best

    Mike

--
    I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

Wow!  Jurgen comes to the rescue once again.  Jurgen you are indeed a genius.  Everything now works flawlessly.  With your permission Jurgen I will write this all up and put it on the wiki unless you don't want me to.  I will give you full credit for everything in the first line.

Jurgen I can't thank you enough.  I can die happy now.  It's time for me to get to work and use this wonderful creation of yours.

Best

Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake