On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:45:26AM +0200, Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:
> Brett Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > First, I cite a reference in a figure caption, but don't like that
> > it shows up in the TOF.  Is there a way to show the reference in the
> > figure caption, but not in the TOF?
>
> In LaTeX you can provide an optional argument to caption, that is used
> in the tof. In LyX you could try to put [your tof text] as the first
> thing in the caption.

This won't work.

A nice way for having both caption and a short caption is the following:

Modify the stdlayouts.inc file (or just the layout file
you use for your document), adding to it the following lines:

-----------begin-----------------
Style ShortCaption
 CopyStyle             Caption
 LatexName             setshortcaption
 LabelString           "Short Caption:"
 LabelType             Static
 Preamble
\let\oldcaption=\caption
\renewcommand{\caption}[1]{
\ifx \shortcaption \undefined
  \oldcaption{#1}
\else
  \oldcaption[\shortcaption]{#1}
\fi
}
\newcommand{\setshortcaption}[1]{
\newcommand{\shortcaption}{#1}
}
 EndPreamble
End
Then you can put a short caption paragraph before your caption paragraph.