On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Aaron BrĂ¼lisauer wrote:

I'll have to write a documentation for system engeneer degree. I have to
documentate a installation and configuration of a document sync solution
(Nextcloud). ... What class would you choose? ... at are
"KOMA-script-****"?

Aaron,

  To answer your last question first, the KOMA-script classes provide much
greater flexibility for customization than do base classes. For a beginning
user I suggest picking Report (standard class); you can always change the
class later if you want to.

  There are three class categories that are most commonly used: Articles,
Books, and Reports.

  The article class is what you'd use if you were publishing your
documentation in a scientific journal or general audience magazine. When you
write a long book, with parts, chapters, and other subdivisions you'd use
the book class. In between those two extremes is the report class, which
is most appropriate for your documentation.

  You might have chapters such as Introduction, Configuration, and Backup
each with its own set of sections.

  Start your document as a report and define all the parts: chapters,
sections, subsections, etc. This is your structural outline of what you want
to have included. When you're happy with this, start filling in the content
from the top down. As you need additional input (figures, tables,
references, etc.) look at the manuals to learn about them and ask here for
clarification.

  Best way to learn is with your own document because that puts everything
in a context to which you can easily relate.

Good luck,

Rich