Am 23.04.2018 um 18:47 schrieb Marshall Feldman <ma...@uri.edu>:

> I'm having a devil of a time trying to get spell check working with LyX 2.3.0
> and Mac OS 10.13.4. I have similar configurations on two other computers, and
> the spell check does seem to work there. But on this one, whenever I issue
> Tools > Spellchecker..., LyX throws the error message, "Spell checker has no
> dictionaries." This happens with all 3 available Spellchecker engines:
> Native, Aspell, and Hunspell.
>
> Here are some things I've tried:
>
>       • Install the latest version of LibreOffice, which relies on Hunspell.
> I thought reinstalling LO might fix issues with Hunspell, at least.
>       • Reinstall Hunspell. Hunspell is supposedly included with recent
> versions of Mac OS, but I followed the OSX and macOS instructions on the
> Hunspell GitHub page to (re)install         Hunspell.
>       • Downloaded and reinstalled the en_US.aff/dic files as recommended
> here. The original post is several years old, and one hopes any corruption in
> the dictionary file would have been corrected by now, but one never knows.
>       • Test with each of the 3 spell checkers.
> FWIW, this testing was done with:
>
>       • LyX > Preferences > Language Settings > Spellchecker always set to
> activate "Spellcheck continuously" and "Spellcheck notes and comments."
>       • LyX > Preferences > Language Settings > Spellchecker does not allow
> activation of "Accept compound words," as this option is grayed out.
>       • LyX > Preferences > Paths > Hunspell dictionaries set to
> "~/Library/Spelling"
> A MWE is attached.
>
> Please help me before I spell again!!!
>
> Thanks.
> <spelling.lyx>

The spell checker function isn’t document specific, IMHO.

Hunspell dictionaries are bundled with LyX 2.3.0, you shouldn’t have to change
anything to use it. Native spell checker (the default) is using the OS spell
checker service. For Aspell you need the dictionaries that come with macports
aspell.

Probably the best you can do is to enable file related debug messages to check
hunspell file lookup and GUI debug messages for native spell checker operation.
Verify the messages and post them here for reference. You can enable messages
at runtime from the View > Messages dialog.

Best regards,
Stephan