Sent: 15 September 2018 12:12
To: Bravington, Mark (Data61, Hobart); lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: temporarily disable 3-pass processing of citations/bibliography

On 8/13/18 8:21 PM, mark.braving...@data61.csiro.au wrote:
> > Including citations/references, or even telling Lyx that they *might* be
> > used (see below), slows down PDF preview quite a bit, ie
> > Document->View(PDF). Is there a way to temporarily turn off the 3-pass
> > system (~3 calls to pdflatex interspersed by calls to biber or bibtex)? Of
> > course, it's then fine for all citations to appear as "labels" or [?] .

<<snipped by MVB>>>

> Not sure how helpful this is now: But you could export to LaTeX and run
> everything else manually.
> Riki

Aha! Armed with that hint, I was able to define a Format and Converter that
give "one-pass-only" PDFs; pig-ugly refs, no biblio, but very quick!

The Format I called "PDF (nobib)" and it mimicks Lyx's existing "PDF
(pdflatex)" Format. The Converter looks exactly like Lyx's "Latex (pdf) -> PDF
(latex)" but obviously ends " ... -> PDF (nobib)" instead. The only change
needed to the Converter was to clear the "Extra flags" field.

This seems to do what I want (I think--- I am no expert on La/tex, and have not
tested beyond a basic case). It might be worth adding this as a built-in format
and converter (or I may be the only person who sees the speed as a problem...).

The only and very minor issue is that, when defining the new Format, I cannot
select "pdfview" as the Viewer--- which is what Lyx uses for all other PDF
outputs. instead, I had to choose "custom" and then type the name of my viewer
(Sumatra) into a box. No big deal, obvs.

Thanks
Mark