On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 15:49:19 +0000 (UTC)
Anders Host-Madsen <ahostmad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Still have not found the proper way to post to thread, so I just hope
> it will show up the right place. First, for the topic of the thread:
> I have now tried 1) rollapp.com and 2) remote access to my Mac from
> iPad (Screens and TeamWiever). rollapp.com is too limited (e.g.,
> shortcuts and arrow keys don't work) and expensive. Remote access is
> too slow and unreliable to be a solution. So, the only solution would
> be some type of native app on iPad.

These limitations are not surprising.  It would be nice to have a
version that would work --- at least on the front end --- on a tablet
(I prefer Android, but the idea is the same).  I'd like to be able to
write when I only have my tablet with me, rather than have to deal with
my laptop all the time.

I remember this kind of discussion before, when Windows users were
asking for a version of LyX that ran on their computers (Initially LyX
was only available for un*x machines, principally linux but it would
compile on most unix boxes, if you had Motif).  Eventually it happened,
but you need to find a programmer with the proper expertise and
interest.

> I do think of LyX as a frontend
> for LaTeX, and not at all irrelevant. In fact, it is the software I
> use the most of all software that I have. It has completely
> revolutionized my workflow, as it's now so easy to write LaTeX.

I certainly agree.  But, being a mathematician, most of what I write is
impossible to produce decently on Word, et. al.  Also, most of what I
write is still meant for paper, eventually, so e-book formats are not a
big deal for me.

> think the issue is not that LyX is outdated, but that LaTeX is
> outdated. It's made for typesetting on paper, and honestly most
> reading now is done on screens. For that PDF is terrible. It's fixed
> format for printing. Instead, what is needed is mathematical
> typesetting that is free-flowing and adaptable to the screen it's
> read on (including a phone). Is there any work going on on that kind
> of standard?

Again, having a long memory of such things is useful.  Since TeX is
intended primarily for paper output, it took time to get someone
interested in exporting it to pdf, so it could be read on a screen.
Postscript seemed, back then, to be the preferred output (since
printers like that).  But what you are asking for is not a new
component for LyX, but a way to export to e-book formats, which would
be, basically, a dvi-to-(enter your e-book format) utility.  TeX may be
too wedded to page sizes and predetermined font sizes, but that also is
a TeX issue, it never has been a LyX issue.

--

David L. Johnson
Department of Mathematics