Still have not found the proper way to post to thread, so I just hope it will
show up the right place.
First, for the topic of the thread: I have now tried 1) rollapp.com and 2)
remote access to my Mac from iPad (Screens and TeamWiever). rollapp.com is too
limited (e.g., shortcuts and arrow keys don't work) and expensive. Remote
access is too slow and unreliable to be a solution. So, the only solution would
be some type of native app on iPad.
I do think of LyX as a frontend for LaTeX, and not at all irrelevant. In fact,
it is the software I use the most of all software that I have. It has
completely revolutionized my workflow, as it's now so easy to write LaTeX.
I think the issue is not that LyX is outdated, but that LaTeX is outdated. It's
made for typesetting on paper, and honestly most reading now is done on
screens. For that PDF is terrible. It's fixed format for printing. Instead,
what is needed is mathematical typesetting that is free-flowing and adaptable
to the screen it's read on (including a phone). Is there any work going on on
that kind of standard?