On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:00 AM Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/19 10:39 AM, Maria Gouskova wrote:

> >> Maria,
> >>
> >> I'm also on Mint Sarah, LyX 2.3.2. When I select File > Import > LaTeX
> >> (plain) and navigate to a folder containing .tex files, I see them (with
> >> the filter set to "LaTeX (plain) (*.tex)"). Can you upload a screen shot
> >> of what you are seeing (or not seeing)? It would help if you used a
> >> small directory, so that all the files appeared in the window (no
> >> scrolling required).
> > Screenshots attached.
> >
> > I've verified that this is an issue on both of my Mint Sarah
> > installations. I didn't copy the configurations between these, so it's
> > independent. (And the one that the screenshots are from is barely
> > configured--not my main machine for writing).
> >

> Interesting. What version of Qt do you use (4.8.7 here), and what
> desktop environment for Sarah (MATE here)? Did you compile LyX yourself
> or get a binary somewhere?

The desktop environment is Cinnamon.  But it's not Cinnamon vs.
MATE--I just logged into MATE and it's got the same issue here.

Here is the LyX build Info, in case that helps:

LyX 2.3.2 (2018-12-08)
Configuration
Host type: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Special build flags: build=release std-regex use-hunspell use-aspell use-enchant
Bundled libraries: (none)
C++ Compiler: g++ (5.4.0)
C++ Compiler flags: -O2 -std=c++14
C++ Compiler user flags:
Linker flags:
Linker user flags:
Qt Frontend:
Qt version: 4.8.7
Packaging: posix
LyX binary dir: /usr/bin
LyX files dir: /usr/share/lyx

I cannot remember how I installed LyX originally, to be honest. But I
have this in my var/lib/apt/lists:

ppa.launchpad.net_lyx-devel_release_ubuntu_dists_xenial_InRelease
ppa.launchpad.net_lyx-devel_release_ubuntu_dists_xenial_main_binary-amd64_Packages
ppa.launchpad.net_lyx-devel_release_ubuntu_dists_xenial_main_binary-i386_Packages
ppa.launchpad.net_lyx-devel_release_ubuntu_dists_xenial_main_i18n_Translation-en
ppa.launchpad.net_lyx-devel_release_ubuntu_dists_xenial_main_source_Sources

Which I think means that at some point I added Liviu's PPA and have
been just getting it with apt updates.

> Your file dialog looks substantially different from mine (screen shot
> attached). Some of that may be MATE v. Cinnamon (or whatever you're
> using), but I find it interesting that your filter drop-down just says
> "LaTeX" whereas mine is specific as to the "flavor" of LaTeX. The window
> title is properly specific (and matches what I get). The reason I'm so
> interested in the filter button is that I'm wondering whether the filter
> you are getting is incorrect (for instance, fails to specify .tex as the
> extension it wants).

I am fairly sure this is a virgin install, without any configuration
tinkering--I don't do much personalizing because I switch between
machines so much.

Maria