On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:19:05 +0200 (CEST) wrote Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >           4.You can use TeXmacs as an interface to computer algebra systems.
> > [...]
> > I was thinking about developing 4 for some time but a number of
> > circumstances have halted the project. Please mail me if you have some
> > valuable insight into a nice way of doing it.
>
> Well, do you mean something like starting LyX, typing

> and getting
>
>   '\frac{1}{2} a x^2 + \frac{1}{2} b x^2'
>
> appended?  Seems to work over here ;-)

So, how do you do it? ;-)

I'd like to see LyX as a GUI for some open Algebra System (something like
Scientific workplace?) i.e. not so much for changing formulars on the fly
but as a kind of "very pretty printing notebook". (Of course with the option
to integrate the results in a "normal" LyX document.)

I wonder whether the Lyxpipes are sufficient to achieve this or whether some
changes whithin LyX are required.

There is a promising open Computer Algebra System on the net called YACAS
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~apinkus/) (I haven't tried yet) also MuPad
(http://www.mupad.de/) could be interesting (although not open source) It
allowes to specify the output format (and has already a latex output
library (although this did not work for me)) so it might be convinced to send
something interpretable to the Lyxpipe.

Guenter

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]