On Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:29:47 AM PDT John White wrote:
> On Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:15:49 PM PDT Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > I would even go so far as to use Noto Serif and if that looks too big
> > (compare with New Century Schoolbook 14) use 13pt.
> >
> > :-)-O
> >
> > el

> > > Brilliant!  Thanks Doc!
> > >

> > > John
>
> Both Century Schoolbook and Noto Serif look so big at 14 points when
> exported to pdf.  I think I simply don't understand font sizes. When
> compared with some of the size urls (e.g.
> https://www-archive.mozilla.org/newlayout/testcases/css/ sec526pt2.htm[1])
> the base 12 in lyx to me looks like at least 14 point.  When I get to
> office tomorrow I will print and see if I can figure it out better with a
> ruler (no printer at home).  Aside from appearance, the issue is legally
> significant as briefs are subject to strict page limits and 14 point fills
> up a page quickly.
>
> John

As an experiment, I typed two sentences from an actual opinion of our Court
(presuming it uses its own rules) and compared them to the lyx pdf version,
using
14pt custom with koma script article and 12pt base with regular article class
and it
is clear that the 12pt base is too small.  However, the font the Court uses is
slightly
smaller than the koma-script 14.  As the rule says 14pt "or larger" I think I
will stick
with your koma-script 14pt, even if I have to trash a two or three paragraphs
of
my amazing prose.

Thanks again!