On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:

It's a LaTeX one, or rather a BST one and you need to look at the BST what
it shows there.

Eberhard,

It's either LaTeX or JabRef changing how it presents the bibtex entry to
lyx.

Look for something like (from another style):

FUNCTION {emphasize}
{ duplicate$ empty$
   { pop$ "" }
   { "\emph{" swap$ * "}" * }
 if$
}

It's not the emphasis as nothing in the document is emphasized; the error
appeared only after I added that one citation and the reference was added to
the bibliography.

but search for the old ones, of course, ie \bf, \sc and so on...

I grep'd the .lyx file for those strings and found none.

Thanks,

Rich