I have a manuscript which I plan to submit for publication. In its current
form, it is in a format different from what the journal expects and as such
must be converted to the format (IEEE) expected by the journal. (I normally do
this  by copy-pasting large sections of text.) If the manuscript is rejected by
the journal then I will have to either revert to the original format or convert
to a third format for another journal. I have a version control problem across
formats if I make further edits to any version in any format. Besides tediously
manually editing all versions, making the same changes, is there any way to
keep a master document and spawn one or more alternately-formatted versions
with the same content, thus saving the headache of manually editing each
version?

I know that LyX has a version control capacity but I have never used it and I
suspect it is not appropriate for this scenario.

Jerry