On 2020-02-24 12:24, Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:16:32 +0100
schrieb Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de>:

M-x unicode-insert 0x201c
M-x unicode-insert 0x201d

        Kornel

Yes, that's kind of the manual way. I can also replace “ and ” by itself
with Quick Find and Replace. And I can undo the effect by replacing a
unicode mark with the LyX generated magic one.

I guess I'd prefer LyX to make the change internally before the output.
But maybe there is no way to tell LyX to do it.

Daniel

Why? It is always 'manual', since you have to type '"'.
You could bind the command  'M-x unicode-insert 0x201d' to anything you like
        \bind "F1" "unicode-insert 0x201d"

        Kornel

Yes, you have to press the '"' key maually. But what I meant with the non-manual magic quotes function of LyX, is that LyX inserts the correct quotation marks austomatically, i.e. “ and ” in the workarea and `` and '' in the source (for English). Now, what I was hoping for is that I can get LyX to automatically use “ and ” not only in the work area but also in the output, i.e. `` and '' should be changed to “ and ”. LaTeX seems to have no problem with the “ and ” characters.

Daniel