On 2020-02-24 14:08, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 24/02/2020 à 13:34, Daniel a écrit :
Ah, I see. LyX actually does not use the unicode characters “ and ” but \textquotedblleft and \textquotedblright{} when I insert the unicode character. So, I guess what I want is to have `` and '' be replaced by those commands.

Yes, using xetex changes the code preview to usage of unicode. Is it on purpse one cannot useb pdflatex that way?

It is a matter of using polyglossia instead of babel, from what I understand. There some things (ligatures, spacing) that are handled with these improves engines, but not the plain pdflatex with babel.

I see. Well, pdflatex seems to understand the quotation marks as well plus it solves the problem with the PDF bookmarks. And I guess there are certain problems I might run into when switching from pdflatex to xetex. So the switch isn't costless.

1. If I typeset the document I sent before first with pdflatex and then with xetex I get an error:

  \babel@aux{english}{}

This is the switch from polyglossia to babel and the fact that we keep old aux files to limit the number of TeX runs.

I see. Couldn't LyX remember whether the switch has been made and delete those aux files. I guess the error is not a big problem but I was already thinking that it did not work correctly.

2. With xetexThe plain quotation marks show as Mapping=34 in the bookmarks.

What bookmarks are you talking about?

The PDF bookmarks ("table of content").

Daniel