On Sunday 22 April 2001 16:40, you wrote:
> Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> > I am getting many `Package Babel error´
> > `You havent defined the language german yet ..´
> > while trying to view the dvi output,
> > although I am using english.
> > Same under latex runs.
>
> you can delete the entry \usepackage{babel}
> in edit->preferences->language->package
> or insert german in layout->document->options.
>
> Herbert

thanks for proposals. I tried first

> or insert german in layout->document->options.

I succeeded in getting rid of the Babel error messages.
However, I am getting now
Inhaltsverzeichnis instead of table of contents
and same with table of  figures, tables, Bibliography.

next I tried
> you can delete the entry \usepackage{babel}
> in edit->preferences->language->package

however, I am getting

LaTeX Warning: Unused global option(s):
    [english].
 (e-i.aux
 ! Package babel Error: You haven't defined the language german yet.
 See the babel package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
 l.3 \select@language{german}

remind you its english text and I have set `english´ in
preferences >language > default language

as well as in
layout>document>language

as well as in layout>character>language
or leaving it in default (by the way, what is this good for?)

What am I doing wrong?