On 2020-03-20, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Am 19.03.20 um 22:20 schrieb Guenter Milde:

>> This seems to indicate that there is an invalid utf8 multi-byte character
>> somewhere in the *.lyx file.
>> Keep the original file, and from a copy remove parts until it compiles.

..

> I tried to remove parts of the original.
> It turned out that a nomenclature lead to the error

> However, I can't find any mistake in it (and as said before, it compiled
> in 2015) >
> VVD
> VIVID is a small flavin-binding blue-light photoreceptor and consists of
> a LOV domain and an N-terminal cap

> I put it in a lyx Note and the part converted.

> Than I found an other nomenclature causing trouble.

> removed it, but now a nomenclature which went through alright before was
> causing troubles.

This may be due to the error reason beeing at a different place than the
"trigger".

> I gave up after spending hours.

> Questions:
> If I remove the nomenclature after bibtex and index at the end of the
> document, that does apparently not prevent the nomenclatures in the text
> to be neglected during compiling, since lyx clashes. This is in contrast
> to the bibtex produced references, which, if removed, prevents clashes
> if references are giving troubles. I.e. I have to remove (or put in Lyx
> notes) the nomenclatures. Perhaps I should work with a latex file, where
> I could remove the nomenclatures more easily with a text editor (or use
> the lyx file with an editor).
> For the time being I have to recover - otherwise I might get the corona

Working with the exported LaTeX file may be a good idea, one layer less that
may confuse things.

If you have an old LyX version lying around, you may also try this. Evt.
also export to LaTeX with the old version and re-import into current LyX.

Günter