Am Montag, dem 08.03.2021 um 23:01 +0100 schrieb _johnny7_...@web.de:
> the easiest way for me to insert German single quotation marks was to
> copy and paste them from Wikipedia or even previous paragraphs from
> my
> text into LyX: ‚ ‘ Now I see there is also the key binding Alt+".
> Both
> methods lead to the same characters both in the LyX work area and in
> the
> output; however, the LyX or LaTeX code is different: The former gets
> in LyX code ‚ ‘
> in LaTeX \quotesinglbase{} \textquoteleft{}
>
> with key binding or the Insert menu I get
> in LyX code \begin_inset Quotes gls and ... Quotes grs
> in LaTeX \quotesinglbase{} `
>
> I see no difference in the output but are there cases in which the
> different codes make a difference?

No, not output-wise. These are different input formats provided with
different font encodings. If you write LaTeX in an editor, ,this` is
the fastest input method, but it matches \quotesinglebase
this\textquoteleft.

Not, though, that changing quote styles (e.g. to German guillemets) is
easier if you use Alt+".

> A somewhat related question is the difference between typing "let's"
> in LyX and pasting "let’s". The output is identical here as well with
> the curly apostrophe. Is there case where the different inputs
> matter?

Don't think so.

Jürgen