Rich,

"Only a year" means a lot in computer terms, and not only coma script
has been updated significantly in the meantime.

Secondly, that was actually not a minimal working example.

An MWE reduces ALL additional choices to the defaults, empties out the
preamble, one line by one and removes all additional commands until the
only remaining text and commands (re)produce the error.

Often that makes one see the problem before even asking for help.

However, it appears that you totally unnecessarily (in my not so humble
view) add several lines to the preamble.

The fonts can be chosen in LyX, as can the Clear Page command (where you
had a typo (\cleardoublepddpage)) and the default page style which when
chosen from the pull down translates, as Herbert pointed out absolutely
correctly, to 'plain'.

I hate ERT but haven't figured out yet how to (re)move the page
numbering changes (into the preamble).

Please find enclosed.

I myself like the NoTo fonts, but if I was using something like
Palatino I would use the (free) TexGyre fonts (I think Pagella is the
one).

greetings, el

On 2021-10-09 22:42 , Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2021, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
>
>> you need to figure out a way of updating KOMA Script to the latest
>> version (the versions coming with the linux distributions are years
>> behind).
>
> EL,
>
> Installed here are
> texlive-2020.200608-x86_64-2_SBo
> texlive-extra-2020.200608-x86_64-1_SBo
>
> These are only a year behind the current release.
>
>> And if that doesn't work you need to post a MWE here, and I mean
>> MINIMAL :-)-O
>
> See attached.  What puzzles me is that pdflatex produces output but
> also shows errors.  And there are no page numbers.  Sigh.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

#LyX 2.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 544
\begin_document
\begin_header
\save_transient_properties true
\origin unavailable
\textclass scrreprt
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{scrlayer-scrpage}
\addtokomafont{pageheadfoot}{\small}
\end_preamble
\use_default_options true
\maintain_unincluded_children false
\language english
\language_package default
\inputencoding auto
\fontencoding global
\font_roman "palatino" "default"
\font_sans "avant" "default"
\font_typewriter "default" "default"
\font_math "auto" "auto"
\font_default_family default
\use_non_tex_fonts false
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100 100
\font_tt_scale 100 100
\use_microtype false
\use_dash_ligatures true
\graphics default
\default_output_format pdf2
\output_sync 0
\bibtex_command default
\index_command default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\use_hyperref false
\papersize letterpaper
\use_geometry true
\use_package amsmath 1
\use_package amssymb 1
\use_package cancel 1
\use_package esint 0
\use_package mathdots 0
\use_package mathtools 1
\use_package mhchem 1
\use_package stackrel 1
\use_package stmaryrd 1
\use_package undertilde 1
\cite_engine basic
\cite_engine_type default
\biblio_style plain
\use_bibtopic false
\use_indices false
\paperorientation portrait
\suppress_date false
\justification true
\use_refstyle 0
\use_minted 0
\index Index
\shortcut idx
\color #008000
\end_index
\leftmargin 2cm
\topmargin 4cm
\bottommargin 2cm
\headsep 1.5cm
\secnumdepth 2
\tocdepth 2
\paragraph_separation skip
\defskip medskip
\is_math_indent 0
\math_numbering_side default
\quotes_style english
\dynamic_quotes 0
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 2
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\html_math_output 0
\html_css_as_file 0
\html_be_strict false
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Title
This is a report
\end_layout

\begin_layout Publishers
Prepared for:
\begin_inset Newline newline
\end_inset

Regulatory Agency
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset ERT
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
pagenumbering{roman}
\end_layout

\end_inset

\begin_inset CommandInset toc
LatexCommand tableofcontents

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset FloatList figure

\end_inset

\begin_inset Newpage clearpage
\end_inset

\begin_inset ERT
status collapsed

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
pagenumbering{arabic}
\end_layout

\begin_layout Plain Layout

\backslash
setcounter{page}{1}
\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Chapter
Introduction
\end_layout

\begin_layout Section
Need
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
I need to be able to compile this report with pdflatex and have the pages
 numbered.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
It will compile, despite showing an error, but there are no page numbers.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Newpage newpage
\end_inset