Rich Shepard said on Fri, 8 Oct 2021 12:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

>On Fri, 8 Oct 2021, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>
>> Your last \usepackage has an opening parenthesis that should be an
>> opening brace.
>
>Paul,
>
>Ah, they are difficult to distinguish with the light typeface stroke
>on a white background.

I don't know about the other threads in this thread, but long ago I
solved the light typeface on white background by switching to TeX Gyre
Schola, TeX Gyre Heros, and TeX Gyre Cursor fonts. On the Doc settings
fonts window, I had to check "Use non-TeX fonts", and had to compile it
with LuaTeX and LuaLaTeX.

These Century Schoolbook lookalikes look great on paper too.

SteveT

Steve Litt