On 2/8/22 09:31, Jürgen Spitzmüller via lyx-users wrote:
Am Dienstag, dem 08.02.2022 um 02:55 +0200 schrieb Joseph Hesse via
lyx-users:
My lyx document is a book with chapters in a master document.  I add
computer program listings, from files in other folders, with
Insert->File->Child Document->Program Listing.  This works well for
me.

The numbering of the program listings is 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. where
the 2
is the chapter and the number after the dot is a counter that keeps
incrementing after a new listing is added.  I would like to change
this
so the numbering is Chapter.Section.Counter e.g. 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 2.2.3
where these are listings in chapter 2, section 2.

How do I do this?  Please point me to a package that will help me
implement this.
\usepackage{chngcntr}
\AtBeginDocument{\counterwithin{lstlisting}{section}}

See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/238843

HTH,
Jürgen