Thank you Paul, I really appreciate your response but this is such a common issue - at least for me- every lecture pack I produce has this problem perhaps every 5 slides so its really driving me round the bend. I just leave the environment behind by default and manually add the next number  but it looks cheap and nasty. Why can’t there be an option to restart previous numbering? I seem to remember that option exists in scientific word so it must be possible to implement this as a very simple click choice? I have been pointed to the ERT route before but this is really a cry to the developers of Lyx. Thanks again Paul.
Cheers,
Mark

Decision making is about predicting counterfactuals