Dear all,

As you might know, LyX features a theorem type "Acknowledgment" via the
"AMS extended" theorems modules. This is a question for people using
this.

The issue appeared on the developers list that none of us is actually
sure about the function of this theorem type. This is a problem with
regard to translation into other languages, as "acknowledgment" can
mean different things, among them

(a) expressing gratefulness (credits, as in the "Acknowledgment"
section of books or articles),
(b) expressing respect ("In acknowledgment of his special merits he was
appointed as honorary conductor of the orchestra"),
(c) the act or fact of accepting the truth or recognizing the existence
of something ("acknowledgment of a mistake"),
(d) a confirmation ("I have received no acknowledgment")

Depending on the meaning, the term needs to be translated differently
to some languages. Currently, it is translated in the same way than the
Acknowledgment sections in articles (meaning [a]), and we have serious
doubts whether this is appropriate.

If you use or are familiar with the Acknowledgment theorem type: what
are its general purposes, or how do you use it?

Thanks,
--
Jürgen