On Fri, 29 Mar 2024, Paul Rubin wrote:

First, try "kpsewhich biblatex.sty" in a terminal to confirm that TeXLive
knows where to find it. If the return is empty, there's a setup problem
with TeXLive.

Paul,

Working off the mail list with Herbert I think I just found the problem, but
not yet the solution.

I used the same command, `perl ./install-tl --no-interaction --paper=letter'
on both the Slackware64-14.2 desktop and the Slackware64-15.0 laptop.

On the former, all files are in /usr/local/texlive/2024; on laptop,
some/many/most files are in /usr/share/texlive/2024. The latter is
apparently the Debian default.

Why two different installations using the same command line installed
differently might well be the reason I have the missing files errors.

Thanks,

Rich