On 5/5/24 13:36, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 5/5/24 11:25, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Sun, May 05, 2024 at 12:00:06PM GMT, Andreas Plihal via lyx-users wrote:
Hi,
  the compilation of lyx files is repeatedly interrupted (apparently at
random). A window "LyX: Stop command?" appears. Then you can either
stop or continue compiling. It is not clear to me when and why this
interruption occurs. Its appearance cannot be controlled by me.
  Please can you help me?
I believe it (should be) at a deterministic time, not random.

And I don't think compilation is actually interrupted, it just feels like it is. That is, during the dialog, I believe the code is still running.

It is. Which is why, if you leave your computer, you can find this dialog AND a completed compilation.

All that said, I personally would be in favor of removing the dialog, now that the user can cancel the process at anytime on their own (this didn't use to be possible). I think we had a discussion about that but I forgot how others felt about it.

I think we decided it was worth having both, though I am not sure. The manual cancellation thing doesn't always work. What might be nice would be to make the timeout a preference, and then setting it at 0 would disable it. Obviously too late to do that for 2.4.0.

Actually, on closer inspection, it turns out we did disable this for 2.4.0:

int timeout_ms()
{
    // Starting in 2.4.0, we allow the user to cancel the background
    // process at any time with LFUN_EXPORT_CANCEL, so the timeout dialog
    // is no longer useful.
    // "-1" effectively disables the timeout (it is a special case in
    // SystemcallPrivate::waitWhile()).
    return -1;
}

Apparently, you did it, Scott!

For what it's worth, the previous timeout was 3 minutes. Note that this is per-process, so running LaTeX multiple times could take more than 3 minutes, and it would not trigger this message.

Riki