Roberto Marabini wrote:

> Hello Roberto,
>
>   I also use lyx for writting spanish documents and I do not find the
> problems you describe. I have redefined my keyboard using "xmodmap" so I
> can type "á" directly instead of "\'{a}" (I am working at US and therefore
> I use an american keyboard) and providing I select language "spanish"
> everything works fine including the spellchecker. What version of lyx are
> you using? I am using 1.1.6fix3. For older versions things were not so
> easy. This is a list of the things I changed for lyx 1.0 (I do not know if
> all of them are needed)

I'm using version 1.1.6fix3. Actually, I think you misunderstood my
problem. When I type the accented characters they show up fine in LyX.
That is, I can type the "á" directly.

What I would like is that, when I export the document to TeX, the
characters that I typed in directly as "á" show up as "\'{a}". After
more searching I found the "iso8859-1.cdef" file which appears to be
there to define how to translate accented characters to "\'{a}" for
example. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be working.

As far as the spellchecker, I'm using aspell not ispell. After some
testing, what seems to be happening is that words such as "introducción"
are checked correctly, but "introducci\'{o}n" is checked as incorrect. I
don't really know much about aspell, but I would think there is a way to
change this behavior. If anyone knows how, please let me know.