I tried to install a new font today... here is where I got: I put all the
tfm, vf, and fd files in the appropriate directories, catted the pnb.map file
to the psfonts.map file, and ran texconfig. From LyX, I am able to do a

\newfont{\rmbasker}{pnbr8t at 12pt}

to ge the font I want. With this, I am able to View-Postscript and I see the
correct font. However, -only- gv shows the font: xdvi has to substitute, and
any .ps made from a dvi has to substitute. Moreover, using

\usefont{T1}{pnb}{m}{n}\selectfont

gives me a substitution everywhere, even in gv.

So clearly I have done something right, but most everything else I have done
wrong. Where do I start?