On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 05:55:58PM +0000, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> I just would like to say that this is the first archive ever I am not
> able to open. I have never had any difficulties working with archives.

Are you sure all transfers happend in binary mode? Note that some ftp
clients start in ASCII mode as default, so archives thend to break...

> Could it be that the problem is due to the fact that I made the download
> working with Windows? My box has a winmodem only. So I have no access to
> the internet from my Linux system. I have to download the file with
> Windows, then copy it to the Linux partition in KDE File Manager to run
> tar.

Just make sure to switch to binary mode first.

> If this is so I think you should change the compressing format to simple
> *.zip which can be decompressed with Windows software anyway.

Please? There is plenty of Windows software out there that is able to
cope with .tgz flawlessly.

Andre'

PS:

> After all LyX is available for Windows too.

My personal view on this has changed from "Fortunately" to "Unfortunately"
during the last few months(!). At least I am not willing to accept that
kind of argument as incentive to change anything.

Don't ask me why, I am not sure about it either, and it was probably not
some kind of rational process.

--