On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:45:16PM +1000, Allan Rae wrote:

> > And everyone else would say this is because you have been hacking
> > on LyX too long.
>
> If I set the XForms widget colours to the light green that KLyX used
> to default to it looks very similar to that "modern" toolkit.
>
> So what am I missing?  (the "Feel" of the menus is bad.  Otherwise?)

xforms restrictions have prevented us from improving the UI.
The dialogs are buggy. The widgets are clunky. Keyboard navigability is awful.
Resizing is broken. The widgets look awful, light green or not. Some widgets
have no focus ability or highlighting. The textline chooser doesn't work
with clicks properly. Radio buttons look like checkboxes. pop up menus
feel icky. Tabs have known problems. No way to show disabled textboxes etc.
latex preamble is broken in some versions. The default "ask" box has the
buttons in a stupid order. Citation dialog has several problems. The file
dialog is broken ... I could go on.

> Maybe I'm not as fussy as some.  "Function over form" that sort of
> thing.  Maybe the rest of my desktop is a good indication:  aterm with

It is a testament to the usefulness of LyX that people persist with the
interface.

> particular widget that causes your optic nerve distress?  Any that
> make you twitch uncontrollably?

the checkboxes for one. ugly and unthemeable. and the menus. and the rest.

> The only thing LyX is missing, in terms of visual pleasantness IMHO,
> is anti-aliased text.

that will be nice. I hope whoever it was who implemented this is working
on a version good enough to apply !

> > LyXView is just the start of that particular problem ;)
>
> Have to start somewhere.

sure ;)

regards
john

--
"Unless everyone else on earth is attending meetings I haven't been told
about."