On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 08:24:33AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> If you're using Mandrake, especially 7.2, 8.0, or 8.1, their default font
> setup is terrible. Here's a workaround:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/cookiecrumbfonts.htm
>
> Steve

As a matter of fact, I am using Mandrake 8.1.

I read your nice tutorial, but I'm not sure I got it to work.

In my /etc/X11/Xconfig-4, I commented out the line

# FontPath   "unix/:-1"

I then added the font paths as you suggested. I shut down X and
restarted it, and everything seemed to work fine. However, just to test
things, I commented out all of the font paths. According to your
tutorial, this means that X shouldn't be able to start at all. However,
even with no font paths in the configuration file, X started.

The fonts look much better in LyX, but that is the result of my tweaking
the zoom and screen dpi settings. It also helps greatly to uncheck the
"use scalable fonts" box.

I would like to get your tip to work, since it would not only helpt he
appearance of LyX, but of other applications like Netscape and Abiword.
(I tested Abiword after following your tutorial, and it looked as
pitiful as ever.)

Thanks

Paul

--