I'm condensing several messages here, beware!

Quoting Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Given  'xset +fp path' and 'xset fp rehash' restarting the X server should
> never be needed.

    Oops, my bad, I meant "restart the X *font* server." Well, I guess
technically it isn't the font server, but that was my general drift. The point
that I was trying to make, was that to install a new font the old way is
unnecessarily involved.

Quoting Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:23:21PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> >
> > Installing a font on RH8 means dropping the font in $HOME/.fonts
    Nice. I'm using Debian, which uses defoma (Debian Font Manager), a beast
that I haven't tried tackling yet.

> > Yes. If Qt is set up for it, you get anti-aliased fonts for free too.
>
> See an example at
> http://www.math.tau.ac.il/%7Edekelts/lyx/qt.png

    Very pretty. As I recall, someone said that it would be trivial to replace
the icons; most of them look like they could be replaced by standard KDE icons;
that ought to make it look more at home on my desktop...
    Speaking of which, its been a while since I've tried the QT version--how is
it progressing? Waiting with baited breath,
    :Peter